The Department for the Blind and Visually Impaired is allocated for general education, information and fulfillment of cultural needs of the blind and visually impaired. In Sarajevo-Romanija region there are around 150 people with blindness and visual impairment. Starting from the fact that ''all men are created equal“, these people seek full and effective participation and inclusion in society along with the equality and fulfillment of human rights.
Cultural rights, as one of fundamental human rights, include the right to education and the right to use the benefits of cultural freedom and scientific benefits.
The main purpose of the Department is to enable blind and visually impaired throughout the Republic of Srpska and the surroundings to use access to cultural materials in accessible formats without difficulty.
In addition to its basic function of collecting, processing and publishing library materials in accessible formats, the department is engaged in publishing together with audio recording, editing and copying in mp3 format.
There are 30 Braille and 2000 audio books available to users of the department.
Furthermore, the library provides training for blind and visually impaired in many areas useful for their greater integration into society, for instance learning Braille, IT training and alike. The library is also a place where various cultural and entertainment events take place.
Through mutual cooperation with other libraries and associations for the blind and visually impaired from the region, we strive to raise the quality of our services to a higher level.
The Department for Blind and Visually Impaired of the Central Library is focused on the realization of the following specific activities:
- printing and recording books in the field of professional literature and belles-lettres
- acquisition of materials in accessible formats for blind and visually impaired (Braille, audio and digital technique, enlarged font, regular print
- professional processing, storage, protection and repair of library materials
- supplication of bulletins and catalogs
- keeping records of materials and readership
- cooperation with other libraries and similar institutions
- the use of the reading room
- organizing cultural events and other forms of developing interest in library materials and library activities
The following services are available to our readership:
- regular borrowing of books in all techniques
- encouraging and helping our readership in selecting and using library materials, the use of assistive and information technology and sources
- access to the Audio-Braille internet club reading room and direct use of its content